This month we provide you with an overview of deal analysis in the life science sectors, covering partnering, M&A and financing in November 2014 and give you an exclusive opportunity to gain discounted annual subscription access to our database.
Deal of the month
Nov 17, 2014 - Actavis, Allergan
Actavis and Allergan have entered into a definitive agreement under which Actavis will acquire Allergan for a combination of $129.22 in cash and 0.3683 Actavis shares for each share of Allergan common stock.....more
Nov 24, 2014 - Janssen Biotech, Transposagen Biopharmaceuticals
Transposagen Biopharmaceuticals have entered into a research collaboration and worldwide license agreement with Janssen Biotech to develop allogeneic Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cells (CAR-T).....more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit:http://www.currentagreements.com
Welcome to the December 2014 edition of Current Agreements Deals Update.
As we approach the end of year, the month of November has seen a flurry of deal announcements dominated by big pharma companies bringing the total number of deals for the month to 234. The top partnering deal by value was the co-development and co-marketing agreement for MSB0010718C between MerckKGaA and Pfizer for $USD 2.85bn. Further details can be viewed here.
On the M&A front, 39 deals with very high values were announced; the leading deal was the acquisition of Allergan by Actavis in a deal valued at $USD 66bn. Further details can be viewed here.
On the financings front we recorded 98 announcements, with the leading deal by value being the royalty financing for $3.3bn by Royalty Pharma with Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutics. Further details can be viewed here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering published several new and updated reports which are currently *on offer*:
- Asset Purchase Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Cancer Diagnostics Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Royalty Financing Partnering Terms and Agreements in Phama, Biotech and Diagnostics
Coupon code at checkout to get 25% off: CP252014
View our end of year discounts here (discount expired)
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We are also interested in hearing from any company with a deal not announced by press release; this allows us to add further non-publicized deals to the database.
Top ten partnering deal analysis of the month by deal value
The following are the top 10 partnering deals and alliances by value, as announced in November 2014.
1. Co-development and co-marketing agreement for MSB0010718C - Merck KGaA, Pfizer- $2.85bn
2. Asset purchase agreement for hearing aid unit - EQT, Siemens- $2.69bn
3. Development and licensing agreement for ITCA 650 - Intarcia Therapeutics, Servier- $1.05bn
4. Collaboration agreement for Imetelstat- Geron, Janssen Biotech - $920m
5. Option agreement to acquire Galecto Biotech and TD139 - Bristol-Myers Squibb, Galecto Biotech - $444m
6. Collaborative R&D agreement for compounds that modulate unfolded protein response - Astellas Pharma, Proteostasis Therapeutics - $400m
7. Grant award for $350 million for ebola vaccines research - Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) - $335m
8. Asset purchase agreement for Myalept (metreleptin for injection) - Aegerion Pharmaceutical, AstraZeneca - $325m
9. Collaboration and licensing agreement for Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cells (CAR-T) - Janssen Biotech, Transposagen Biopharmaceuticals - $292m
Top five M&A deal analysis of the month by deal value
The following are the top 5 M&A deals, as announced in November 2014.
1. Acquisition agreement for Allergan for $66bn- by Actavis
2. Acquisition agreement for Covance for $6.1n-by Laboratory Corporation of America
3. Acquisition agreement for Omega Pharma for $1.5bn-by SPerrigo
4. Acquisition agreement for Kremers Urban Pharmaceuticals for $1.56bn - by Advent International and Avista Capital Partners
5. Acquisition agreement for Prosensa for $840m-by BioMarin Pharmaceutical
Big pharma deal analysis November 2014
November saw 35 partnering deals announced with big pharma being at least one of the parties of the deal.
AstraZeneca was particularly active, leading partnering activities in November.
AstraZeneca partnering- November 2014
- Co-development agreement for novel delivery methods for antisense oligonucleotides - with Isis Pharmaceuticals
- Asset purchase agreement for Myalept (metreleptin for injection) - with Aegerion Pharmaceutical
- Option agreement for acquiring FS201 - with F-Star Alpha
- Collaboration agreement for drug delivery technology -with University of Manchester
- Evaluation agreement for MEDI4736 and Imbruvica -with Novartis
- Research agreement to evaluate Opdivo (nivolumab), Yrvoy (ipilimumab) and multiple agents -with Johnson & Johnson, Pharmacyclics
AstraZeneca partnering report
Further details of all big pharma deals are available atCurrent Agreements.