This month we provide you with an overview of deal analysis in the life science sectors, covering partnering, M&A and financing in October 2014.
This month we provide you with an overview of life science deal making activity, covering partnering, M&A and financing in October 2014.
Deal of the month
Oct 06, 2014 - Becton Dickinson, CareFusion
BD and CareFusion announced a definitive agreement under which BD will acquire CareFusion for $58.00 per share in cash and stock, or a total of $12.2 billion, to create a global leader in medication management and patient safety solutions....more
Oct 28, 2014 - Bristol-Myers Squibb, F-Star Alpha
Bristol-Myers Squibb has entered a deal with F-star Alpha that gives it the option to acquire the company and gain rights to its lead asset, FS201....more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit:http://www.currentagreements.com
October 2014 has been a very busy month with the announcements of high value and big pharma deals bringing the total number of deals for the month to 314. The top partnering deal by value was the licensing and research agreement for NLG919 and IDO/TDO compounds between Genentech and Newlink Genetics for $USD 1.15 billion. Further details can be viewed here.
On the M&A front, 46 deals with very high values were announced; the leading deal was the acquisition of CareFusion by Becton Dickinson in a deal valued at $USD 12.2bn. Further details can be viewed here.
On the financings front we recorded 122 announcements, with the leading deal by value being the loan financing for $9.1 bn by Becton Dickinson for the acquisition of CareFusion. Further details can be viewed here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering published several new and updated reports:
- Personalized Medicine Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Biomarker Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Option and Evaluation Partnering Terms and Agreements in Pharma, Biotech and Diagnostics
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We are also interested in hearing from any company with a deal not announced by press release; this allows us to add further non-publicized deals to the database.
Top ten partnering deal analysis of the month by deal value
The following are the top 10 partnering deals and alliances by value, as announced in October 2014.
1. Licensing and research agreement for NLG919 and IDO/TDO compounds - Genentech, Newlink Genetics- $11.15bn
2. Collaboration R&D and option agreement for antibodies and antibody drug conjugates- Celgene, Sutro Biopharma- $1bn
3. Licensing agreement for treatment of multiple cancer targets- Aduro BioTech, Janssen Biotech, Johnson & Johnson Innovation- $847m
4. Settlement agreement for patent of oximeter devices- Masimo, Philips - $466m
5. Option agreement for acquiring FS201 - Bristol-Myers Squibb, F-Star Alpha- $457m
6. Settlement agreement for $400 million for vaginal mesh claim- American Medical Systems, Endo International - $400m
7. Licensing, manufacturing and supply agreement for pidilizumab (CT-011) - Clal Biotech, CureTech, Medivation - $335m
8. Licensing agreement for commercializing fispemifene- Apricus Biosciences, Forendo Pharma - $317.5m
9. Asset purchase agreement for influenza vaccine business - CSL, Novartis- $275m
10. Grant award for $200.2 million for training PhD students - UK Government - $200m
Top five M&A deal analysis of the month by deal value
The following are the top 5 M&A deals, as announced in October 2014.
1. Acquisition agreement for CareFusion for $12.2bn-by Becton Dickinson
2. Acquisition agreement for Tornier for $3.3bn- by Wright Medical
3. Acquisition agreement for Synergy Health for $1.9bn-by Steris Corporation
4. Acquisition agreement for Tower Holding for $700m-by CorePharma, Impax Laboratories
5. Acquisition agreement for Durata Therapeutics for $675m-by Actavis
Big pharma deal analysis October 2014
October saw 44 partnering deals announced with big pharma being at least one of the parties of the deal.
Bristol-Myers Squibb were particularly active, leading partnering activities in October.
Bristol-Myers Squibb partnering- October 2014
- Manufacturing agreement for biologics - with Lonza
- Development agreement for antisense drug -with OliPass
- Option agreement for acquiring FS201 - with F-Star Alpha
- Evaluation agreement for combining treatment with Opdivo (nivolumab) and Imbruvica (ibrutinib) -with Janssen Research & Development, Pharmacyclics
- Evaluation agreement for Opdivo (nivolumab) -with Novartis
- Research agreement to evaluate Opdivo (nivolumab), Yrvoy (ipilimumab) and multiple agents - with MD Anderson Cancer Center
Bristol-Myers Squibb partnering report
Further details of all big pharma deals are available atCurrent Agreements.