This month we provide you with an overview of deal analysis in the life science sectors, covering partnering, M&A and financing in September 2014.
Deal of the month
Sep 22, 2014 - Merck KGaA, Sigma-Aldrich
Merck KGaA agreed to buy Sigma-Aldrich for $17 billion in cash to expand in chemicals used in research labs and pharmaceutical manufacturing and reduce its dependence on drug development........more
Sep 26, 2014 - SanBio, Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma
Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma and SanBio announced that the two companies have entered into a joint development and license agreement for exclusive marketing rights in the U.S. and Canada for SB623......more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit:http://www.currentagreements.com
September 2014 has been a very busy month with the announcements of high value and big pharma deals bringing the total number of deals for the month to 312. The top partnering deal by value was the licensing agreement for developing MM-398 between Baxter International and Merrimack Pharmaceuticals for $USD 970m. Further details can be viewed here.
On the M&A front, 35 deals with very high values were announced; the leading deal was the acquisition of Sigma Aldrich by Merck KGaA in a deal valued at $USD 17bn. Further details can be viewed here.
On the financings front we recorded 99 announcements, with the leading deal by value being the debt financing for $1.75bn by Humana. Further details can be viewed here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering published several new and updated reports:
- Global Joint Venture Partnerships
- Top 50 Big Pharma Partnering amd M&A Deal Trends
- Bioinformatics Partnering Terms and Agreements
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We are also interested in hearing from any company with a deal not announced by press release; this allows us to add further non-publicized deals to the database.
Top ten partnering deal analysis of the month by deal value
The following are the top 10 partnering deals and alliances by value, as announced in September 2014.
1. Licensing agreement for developing MM-398 - Baxter International, Merrimack Pharmaceuticals- $970m
2. Development and licensing agreement for duvelisib (IPI-145)- Abbvie, Infinity Pharmaceuticals- $825m
3. Licensing and development agreement for CV9202- Boehringer Ingelheim, CureVac- $556m
4. Collaboration agreement for drug development in immunology and virology- Abbvie, Calico - $500m
6. Licensing and development agreement for compounds built on DART platform- Macrogenics, Takeda Pharmaceutical - $400m
8. Collaboration and licensing agreement for developing ADCs for multiple targets - EMD Serono, Merck KGaA, Sutro Biopharma - $298m
9. Contract service agreement for supplying medical devices and accessories - Arthrex, Department of Defense- $255m
Top five M&A deal analysis of the month by deal value
1. Acquisition agreement for Sigma Aldrich for $17bn-by Merck KGaA
2. Acquisition agreement for Nobel Biocare for $2.2bn-by Danaher
3. Acquisition agreement for Alios BioPharma for $1.7bn-by Johnson & Johnson
4. Acquisition agreement for Lumara Health for $675m-by Amag Pharmaceuticals
5. Acquisition agreement for Civitas Therapeutics for $525m-by Acorda Therapeutics
Big pharma deal analysis September 2014
September saw 36 partnering deals announced with big pharma being at least one of the parties of the deal.
Pfizer were particularly active, leading partnering activities in September.
Pfizer partnering- September 2014
- Evaluation agreement for PF-05082566 in combination with mogamulizumab - with Kyowa Hakko Kirin
- Collaboration agreement for developing NGS oncology test - with Thermo Fisher Scientific, GlaxoSmithKline
- Grant award for $1 million for cardiovascular awareness - with American College of Emergency Physicians, American College of Physicians Foundation, American Heart Association, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Heart Rhythm Society, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Regents of the University of Michigan, WomenHeart
- Grant award for $2 million for immunization coverage in Africa - Pfizer Foundation
- Option agreement for licensing glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor - with MedGenesis Therapeutix
- Promotion agreement for Seebri (glycopyrronium) and Ultibro (indacaterol/glycopyrronium) - with Novartis
Pfizer partnering report
Further details of all big pharma deals are available at Current Agreements.