Galapagos is a clinical stage biotechnology company headquartered in Belgium discovering and developing candidates to phase I/II development.
Specializing in oncology, immunotherapy, musculoskeletal and more recently orphan diseases Galapagos' business model is to discover novel therapies and develop them up to a suitable clinical stage when they are licensed out to bigger companies for further development and commercialization.
Galapagos is currently partnering with some major pharmaceutical companies in order to bring some blockbuster drugs to the market.
The company is only fairly young, it established in 1999 through a joint venture between vaccine specialists Crucell and Tibotec. Galapagos originally set up focusing upon internal discovery and services however after raising two lots of private placements; €23.4million in 2002 and an additional €90million in 2006 – 2010, the company restructured its focus and began concentrating on drug discovery only. Today the company trades on the US OTC market under the symbol GLPYY.
Partnering for commercialization
In its relatively short history the company has been well recognized by the industry's big players and many of them have signed major agreements with Galapagos in order to develop medications further.
At present Galapagos has the following therapeutic partnerships in place:
- Cystic Fibrosis – Galapagos signed an agreement with Abbvie in September 2013 to develop novel oral drugs that address the main mutations in cystic fibrosis patients. Galapagos will develop the candidates to phase II then both companies will share responsibility for funding and development at phase III.
- Immuno-inflammatory – In June 2006 Galapagos signed a broad alliance with giants GSK to develop breakthrough medicines. This agreement has evolved over recent years.
- Oncology – Servier is working with Galapagos to develop new small molecule cancer therapies. Servier will have the option to license each of the small molecules after pre-clinical development by Galapagos.
- Osteoarthritis – In its second partnership with French pharmaceutical company Servier, the two companies are partnering to develop novel OA targets. Again Galapagos will discover, Servier will eventually license after completion of phase I clinical trials.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – Galapagos has major multi-target alliance with Janssen Pharmaceuticals NV to discover and develop RA compounds.
With its unique ability to identify targets and develop them rapidly through to clinical development stages tied in with its impressive number of current partners Galapagos is seen as a very attractive company to partner with.
The partnering doesn’t stop there....Galapagos is presently looking for partners to advance clinical candidates in the following therapy areas:
- Inflammation (Rheumatoid arthritis, and IBD)
- Infectious diseases
- Orphan diseases
Galapagos is often present at a large number of partnering events throughout the year. Partnering events are a great place to meet lots of potential partners face to face in a short space of time.
Other events with Galapagos presence include but are not limited to:
- BIO International Convention and Business Forum
- BioEurope / BioEurope Spring
For a full list of forthcoming partnering events where you could meet with Galapagos in person visit Current Partnering’s Event calendar.
Contacting Galapagos for partnering
Galapagos can be contacted in relation to partnering through a number of channels. Here is a list of the most common channels:
Partnering events: face to face contact is generally considered the most effective form of contact. Partnering events not only allow face to face contact but also contact with multiple companies for the price of one flight and hotel reservation. This benefit makes partnering events the most cost effective method of making personal introductions as a start point for partnering discussions.
See Current Partnering’s event calendar for details of forthcoming events.
Direct contact: there are several sources of direct contact with Galapagos’ business development team
- Phone: Picking up the phone and speaking with an individual is the best form of non-face to face contact as it allows your name and voice to be remembered and associated with an opportunity.
- Email: Sending an email is another good way of making contact. Ideally, research the individual responsible for the therapy/technology area being targeted and get in touch. This page on the Galapagos Pharmaceuticals website has details for contacting Galapagos Pharmaceuticals.
- LinkedIn: Business to business contact is increasingly taking place via LinkedIn, the global online networking channel.
Many of Galapagos business development executives have LinkedIn profiles and can be found by viewing the company’s profile. Visit Galapagos Linkedin Page.
Opportunity submission form: the least favourable channel but worth using if you do not have access to the other channels mentioned above. This is the contacts page on Galapagos website for potential partnering opportunities and general contact names.
Our report provides more detailed insight into the details of each deal.
See: Partnering Agreements with Galapagos 2009-2014
Galapagos partnering at Current Agreements
Full details on each deal can be found at CurrentAgreements (subscription required)
Available reports from Current Partnering
Report: Partnering Agreements with Galapagos 2009-2014
Report: Partnering Deals and Alliances with Big Biotech
Available resources for deal coverage for Galapagos
Read: more on Galapagos company profile, recent partnering, M&A and financing news and articles
Report: Finding Biopharma Licensing and Collaboration Partners
View: Current Partnering’s Partnering Scorecard – view top life science partnering deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s M&A Scorecard – view top life science M&A deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s Deal Metrics – the latest deal trend infographics for life science deal making
View: Current Partnering’s Big Pharma Deal Making Scorecard – latest trends in big pharma deal making activity
View: Top 50 pharma – overview of top 50 pharmaceutical companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk
View: Top 50 biotech – overview of top 50 biotechnology companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk