This month we provide you with an overview of deal analysis life science deal making activity, covering partnering, M&A and financing in February 2014.
Welcome to the March 2014 edition of Current Agreements Deals Update.
This month we provide you with an overview of life science deal making activity, covering partnering, M&A and financing in February 2014.
Deal of the month
Feb 18, 2014 - Actavis, Forest Laboratories
Actavis and Forest Laboratories have entered into a definitive agreement under which Actavis will acquire Forest for a combination of cash and equity valued at approximately $25 billion or $89.48 per Forest share....more
Feb 27, 2014 - Hologic, Goldman Sachs
Hologic completed a refinancing of its senior secured tranche B term loan facility (Existing Term Loan B) under the Company's Credit and Guaranty Agreement (Credit Agreement) dated August 1, 2012.....more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit: http://www.currentagreements.com
Month in Review
It has been a good month in terms of dealmaking in the industry with a total of 184 partnering deals announced in February 2014. The top partnering deal by value was the collaboration and licensing agreement for nanobody candidates between Ablynx and Merck & Co. worth $USD2.3bn. Further details can be viewed here.
On the M&A front, 27 deals were announced; the leading deal was the acquisition of Forest Laboratories by Actavis , in a deal valued at $USD 25bn. Further details can be viewed here.
On the financings front we recorded 95 financing announcements, with the leading deal by value being the loan B refinancing agreement for $1.15bn by Hologic. Further details can be viewed here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering published several new and updated reports:
- Orphan Diseases Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Partnering Deals and Alliances with Big Pharma
- Partnering Deals and Alliances with Big Biotech
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We are also interested in hearing from any company with a deal not announced by press release; this allows us to add non-publicized deals to the database.
Top ten deal analysis of the month by deal value
The following are the top 10 partnering deals and alliances by value, as announced in February 2014.
1. Collaboration and Licensing agreement for nanobody candidates - Ablynx, Merck and Co - $2.3bn
2. Joint venture and collaboration agreement to transform model for identifying and validating biological targets of disease for new diagnostics and drug development- Abbvie, Alzheimer's Association, American Diabetes Association, Biogen Idec, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Lupus Foundation of America (LFA), Merck and Co, National Institutes of Health, Pfizer, Sanofi, Takeda Pharmaceutical - $230mn
3. Licensing agreement for NaP2b phosphate inhibitor program - Ardelyx, Sanofi - $198m
4. Collaboration and licensing agreement for multi-drug resistant antibiotics- Discuva, Roche - $191m
5. Suppy agreement for radiology systems - Department of Defense, Toshiba Medical Systems Corporation - $187.7m
6. Licensing agreement for developing semaglutide using microneedle patch system - Novo Nordisk, Zosano Pharma - $155m
7. Collaborative R&D agreement for leukemia and solid tumors- Cellectis, Servier - $150m
8. Collaboration agreement for european gram-negative antibacterial engine - Asclepia Outsourcing Solutions, GlaxoSmithKline, Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) - $115m
9. Collaboration agreement for biotics against Gram-negative pathogens - Fundacion Medina, Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) - $110m
10. Contract service agreement for Carbavance antibiotics - Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, The Medicines Company - $90m
Full details of each deal available at Current Agreements*
Bigpharma deal analysis February 2014
February saw 34 partnering deals announced with big pharma being at least one of the parties of the deal.
Merck & Co were particularly active, leading partnering activity in February.
Merck & Co. partnering- February 2014
- Licensing agreement for compound targeting intracellular targets - Nuevolution
- Collaboration ageement for evaluating anti-cancer combination studies - Pfizer
- Collaboration ageement for evaluating anti-cancer combination studies - Amgen
- Evaluation agreement for the safety and efficacy of INCB24360 and MK-3475 - Incyte
- Joint venture and collaboration agreement to transform model for identifying and validating biological targets of disease for new diagnostics and drug development - Abbvie, Alzheimer's Association, American Diabetes Association, Biogen Idec, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Lupus Foundation of America (LFA), National Institutes of Health, Pfizer, Sanofi, Takeda Pharmaceutical
- Collaboration and Licensing agreement for nanobody candidates- Ablynx
Merck & Co. partnering report
Further details of all big pharma deals are available atCurrent Agreements.
Bigbiotech deal analysis February 2014
February saw 27 partnering deals announced where big biotech were at least one of the parties to the deal.
Roche were particularly active, leading partnering activity in February.
Roche partnering- February 2014
- Collaboration and licensing agreement for multi-drug resistant antibiotics - Discuva
- Licensing agreement for EmPCR patent portfolio - Sysmex Inostics
- Settlement agreement for various litigation and arbitration - Genentech, Hoffmann La Roche, PDL BioPharma
Roche partnering report
Further details of each big biotech deals are available at Current Agreements.
Current Agreements products