This month we provide you with an overview of deal analysis in the life science sectors, covering partnering, M&A and financing in December 2013.
Deal of the month
Dec 19, 2013 - AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb
AstraZeneca has agreed to buy Bristol-Myers Squibb's stake in the companies' diabetes joint venture for up to $4.1 billion in a deal...more
Dec 26, 2013 - Teva, ANI Pharmaceuticals
ANI Pharmaceuticals has acquired 31 previously marketed generic drug products from Teva Pharmaceuticals for $12.5 million in cash and a percentage of future gross profits from product sales...more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit:http://www.currentagreements.com
The end of 2013 saw the closure of several partnerships and m&a deals; A total of 170 partnering deals were announced which is comparatively lower to last month's 218 deals.The top deal by value was the asset purchase agreement for diabetes joint venture worth $USD4.1bn. Further details can be viewed here.
On the M&A front, 38 deals were announced; the leading deal was the acquisition of Algeta by Bayer, in a deal valued at $USD 2.9bn. Further details can be viewed here.
On the financings front we recorded 87 financing announcements, with the leading deal by value being the equity repurchase agreement by St Jude Medical for $700m. Further details can be viewed here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering published several new and updated reports:
- Personalized Medicine in Oncology Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Vaccine Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Drug Delivery Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Diagnostics Partnering Terms and Agreements
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We are also interested in hearing from any company with a deal not announced by press release; this allows us to add non-publicized deals to the database.
Top ten deal analysis of the month by deal value
1. Asset purchase agreement for diabetes joint venture - AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb - $4.1bn
2. Settlement agreement for hip replacement- Johnson & Johnson - $2.5bn
3. Collaborative R&D and licensing agreeemnt for DARPin-drug conjugates - Molecular Partners, Roche - $1.16bn
4. Co-development, option and co-marketing agreement for anti-DLL4/VEGF bispecific antibody- Celgene, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals - $1.08bn
5. Co-development, option and co-marketing agreement for demcizumab - Celgene, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals - $927m
6. Development, marketing and option agreement for antibodies targeting synucleinopathies diseases - Prothena Biosciences, Roche - $600m
7. Marketing agreement for ZALVISO- Acelrx Pharmaceuticals, Grunenthal - $250m
8. Asset purchase agreement for Saphris (asenapine)- Forest Laboratories, Merck and Co - $240m
9. Co-development, option and co-marketing agreement for small molecules program - Celgene, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals - $237.5m
10. Collaborative R&D and option agreement for neurodegenerative disease therapeutics - Biogen Idec, Proteostasis Therapeutics - $200m
Full details of each deal available at Current Agreements*
Big pharma deal analysis December 2013
December saw 43 partnering deals announced with big pharma being at least one of the parties of the deal.
Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiaries were once again particularly active this month, leading partnering activity in December.
Johnson & Johnson partnering deal analysis- December 2013
- Collaborative R&D agreement to advance new skin and hair care products - Intrexon, Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Johnson & Johnson Innovation
- Asset purchase agreement for ortho clinical diagnostics unit (proposed) - Johnson & Johnson, The Carlyle Group
- Settlement agreement for hip replacement - Johnson & Johnson
- Collaboration agreement for early-stage drug technology development - Johnson & Johnson Innovation, MaRS Innovation, Neomed Institute
- Collaborative R&D for TargetAD novel treatments for Alzheimer's disease - Evotec, Janssen Pharmaceutical
- Licensing agreement for developing and marketing CSL362 cancer therapeutics- CSL, Janssen Biotech
- Collaboration agreement for use of BRACAnalysis test - Janssen Research & Development, Myriad Genetics
Johnson & Johnson partnering report
Further details of all big pharma deals are available at Current Agreements.
Big biotech deal analysis December 2013
December saw 20 partnering deals announced where big biotech were at least one of the parties to the deal.
Roche and it's subsidiaries were particularly active, leading partnering activity in December.
Roche partnering deal analysis - December 2013
- Collaboration agreement for next-generation sequencing target enrichment - Kapa Biosystems
- Technology transfer and licensing agreement for Macrocyclic template chemistry (MATCH) discovery platform - Genentech, Ocera Therapeutics
- Development, marketing and option agreement for antibodies targeting synucleinopathies diseases-Prothena Biosciences
- Collaborative R&D and licensing agreeemnt for DARPin-drug conjugates - Molecular Partners
Roche partnering report
Further details of each big biotech deals are available at Current Agreements.
Current Agreements products
Dealmaker’s Knowledge Center : Access the best of Current Partnering and Current Agreements with a Dealmaker’s Knowledge Center subscription. Buy now