This month we provide you with an overview of life science deal making activity, covering partnering, M&A and financing in November 2013.
Deal of the month
Shire will acquire all the outstanding shares of the rare disease company ViroPharma for $50 per share in cash, for a total consideration of approximately $4.2 billion..... more
Nov 26, 2013 - Egalet, Shionogi
Aspen Global will acquire from GlaxoSmithKline the Arixtra and Fraxiparine/Fraxodi brands and business worldwide, except in China, Pakistan and India as well as .... more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit: http://www.currentagreements.com
Month In Review
Partnering activity in the month of Thanksgiving was relatively slow; A total of 217 partnering deals were announced which is fairly low when compared to last month's 358 deals.The top deal by value was the joint venture agreement for a contract development and manufcturing organization worth $USD 2.6bn. Further details can be viewed here.
On the M&A front 28 deals were announced, the leading deal was the acquisition of ViroPharma by Shire, in a deal valued at USD 4.2bn. Further details can be viewedhere.
On the financings front we recorded 82 financing announcements, with the leading deal by value being the equity repurchase agreement by Siemens for $5.4bn. Further details can be viewed here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering published several new and updated reports:
We also have many end-of-year offers on all our dealmaking reports available only for this month. View our full list of reports on offers here at our report store.
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We are also interested in hearing from any company with a deal not announced by press release; this allows us to add non-publicized deals to the database.
The following are the top 10 partnering deals and alliances by value, as announced in November 2013.
1. Joint venture agreement for contract development and manufacturing organization - DSM, JLL Partners - $2.6bn
2. Settlement agreement for Risperdal- Janssen Pharmaceutical, Johnson & Johnson, Scion Pharmaceuticals - $2.2bn
6. Development agreement for medical devices - Medical Devices Innovation Institute, Zhongguancun Development Group - $707m
7. Settlement agreement for trapped profit in tax rate- Government of Israel, Teva Pharmaceuticals - $565m
8. Licensing agreement for macrocycle antibiotic POL7080 - Polyphor, Roche - $545.3m
9. Equity purchase agreement for Cytori Cell Therapy derived from Celution system - Cytori Therapeutics, Lorem Vascular - $531m
10. Licensing agreement for Lucitanib - Clovis Oncology, Ethical Oncology Science, Servier - $470m
Full details of each deal available at Current Agreements*
Big pharma Partnering
November saw 39 partnering deals announced with big pharma being at least one of the parties of the deal.
Johnson and Johnson and its subsidiaries were particularly active, leading partnering activity in November.
Johnson and Johnson partnering- November 2013
- Collaborative R&D for TargetAD novel treatments for Alzheimer's disease - Evotec, Janssen Pharmaceutical
- Settlement agreement for Risperdal- Janssen Pharmaceutical, Scion Pharmaceuticals
- Distribution agreement for IMBRUVICA (ibrutinib) - Biologics, Janssen Biotech, Pharmacyclics
Johnson & Johnson partnering report
Further details of all big pharma deals are available atCurrent Agreements.
Big Biotech Partnering
November saw 16 partnering deals announced where big biotech were at least one of the parties to the deal.
Roche and it's subsidiaries were particularly active, leading partnering activity in November.
Roche partnering- November 2013
- Licensing agreement for VM1500 - Viriom
- Collaborative R&D agreeement for multiple cancer vaccines and immunotherapeutics- Immatics Biotechnologies
- Licensing agreement for macrocycle antibiotic POL7080 - Polyphor
Roche partnering report
Further details of each big biotech deals are available at Current Agreements.
Monthly access now available
If you would like to access Current Agreements for a month, you can - all for a one-off payment of USD500.
Current Agreements products