Chicago based Hospira is a specialist provider of generic injectables and infusion technologies in the healthcare industry. Hospira promotes the idea of ‘Advanced wellness’ through its involvement in the creation of many different types of medications, many of which are oncology injectables, analgesics, antihistamines, electrolytes and vitamins amongst other things. It is also a recognized supplier of medicated management solutions.
Hospira has three core offerings to the healthcare industry.
- Pharmaceuticals – the company offers branded and generic medicines as well as a broad portfolio of speciality drugs
- Delivery Systems – Integrated medication delivery systems that provide infusion therapy and pain management solution
- IV Sets and Devices - the company offers a complete line of I.V. sets and devices that provide patients with life-saving fluids and medication
Since it spun-out from pharma giant Abbott Laboratories in 2004 Hospira has gone from strength to strength and established itself as a major pharmaceutical company in its own right. It now has over 16,000 employees worldwide and generated sales of $4.1bn in 2012. It’s not often that a company spins out of a big pharmaceutical company and becomes such a big pharmaceutical company itself.
Before it spun out Hospira was known as the hospital division of Abbott Laboratories and started activities in the early 1940’s with the introduction of a new protein solution for i.v. feeding and the first fully disposable I.V set. This was followed up closely by the development of an electronic delivery pump and in the 1990’s the company created pre-mixed solutions which removed the use of needless products.
Working with other companies
To support its own work and become a leader in its field Hospira has acquired specialist companies and departments; for example it acquired the generic injectables division from Orchid Pharma, which helped the company build its presence in the field of beta-lactam antibiotics, this happened in 2010. Also in this year Hospira acquired pain management specialist Javelin Therapeutics. A few years before that the company purchased Australian based injectables speciality pharma company Mayne Pharma in 2007 which was a very strategic move in terms of its business.
In addition to the acquisitions it has made Hospira has a number of distribution partnerships in place where it delivers its many infusion therapies and technologies to new countries.
Hospira is often present at a large number of partnering events throughout the year.
Partnering events are a great place to meet lots of potential partners face to face in a short space of time.
Events with Hospira presence include but are not limited to:
- BIO International Convention and Business Forum
- BioEurope / BioEurope Spring
For a full list of forthcoming partnering events where you could meet with Hospira in person visit Current Partnering’s Event calendar.
Contacting Hospira for partnering
Hospira can be contacting in relation to partnering through a number of channels. Here is a list of the most common channels:
Partnering events: face to face contact is generally considered the most effective form of contact. Partnering events not only allow face to face contact but also contact with multiple companies for the price of one flight and hotel reservation. This benefit makes partnering events the most cost effective method of making personal introductions as a start point for partnering discussions.
See Current Partnering’s event calendar for details of forthcoming events.
Direct contact: there are several sources of direct contact with Hospira’s business development team
- Phone: Picking up the phone and speaking with an individual is the best form of non-face to face contact as it allows your name and voice to be remembered and associated with an opportunity.
- Email: Sending an email is another good way of making contact. Ideally, research the individual responsible for the therapy/technology area being targeted and get in touch. Email contact to a named individual view the list of contacts at Hospira’s website for details.
- LinkedIn: Business to business contact is increasingly taking place via LinkedIn, the global online networking channel. Many of Hospira’s business development executives have LinkedIn profiles and can be found by viewing the company’s profile. Visit Hospira’s LinkedIn page here.
Opportunity submission form: the least favourable channel but worth using if you do not have access to the other channels mentioned above.
Available reports from Current Partnering
Report: Partnering Deals and Alliances with Hospira
Available resources for deal coverage for Hospira
Read: more on Hospira company profile, recent partnering, M&A and financing news and articles
Report: Practical Guide to Finding Partners
View: Current Partnering’s Partnering Scorecard – view top life science partnering deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s M&A Scorecard – view top life science M&A deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s Deal Metrics – the latest deal trend infographics for life science deal making
View: Current Partnering’s Big Pharma Deal Making Scorecard – latest trends in big pharma deal making activity
View: Top 50 pharma – overview of top 50 pharmaceutical companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk
View: Top 50 biotech – overview of top 50 biotechnology companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk