Allergan is a multi-specialty health care company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing innovative pharmaceuticals, biologics, medical devices and over-the-counter consumer products worldwide.
Allergan is currently the subject of much speculation as Valeant Pharmaceuticals looks to acquire it. Valeant Pharmaceuticals, the company who has grown itself through acquisitions has put a $46billion bid in to acquirer Californian botox maker Allergan. Allergan however is said to be not interested in Valeant's hostile bid and has reportedly approached J&J and Sanofi to see if either of them would be interested in buying them instead for a higher value. Alongside this Allergan has also explored the idea of acquiring Ireland based Shire so that it becomes too big for Valeant to acquire.
Today Allergan is a $4.8 billion, global, multi-specialty health care company bringing products to the market in the following therapeutic areas - eye care, neurosciences, medical dermatology, medical aesthetics, obesity intervention and urologics.
While most of Allergan’s discovery and development programs are developed internally - making Allergan quite unique in the industry – the company are continuously looking for partnerships and superior technology that complement its business model.
Summary of Allergan’s partnering interests
Allergan explore new market opportunities and search for partnerships to develop superior technologies that are complementary to its own business model.
Allergan does not explicitly list its partnering interests, however they can be summarized as follows by analysing the company’s recent partnering and pipeline data.
These can be summarized as follows:
- Dermatology – rosacea, aging, facial aesthetic devices
- Genitourinary – nocturia
- Neurology – pain, migraine, osteoarthritis
- Ophthalmics – glaucoma, ocular surface disease, retinal diseases, age related macular degeneration, diabetic macular edema
For the latest detail on Allergan’s partnering interests, visit Allergan’s website for details.
Allergan are routinely present at a large number of partnering events throughout the year.
Partnering events are a great place to meet lots of potential partners face to face in a small amount of time.
Events with Allergan presence include but are not limited to:
- BIO International Convention and Business Forum
- BioEurope / BioEurope Spring
For a full list of forthcoming partnering events where you could meet with Allergan in person visit Current Partnering’s Event calendar.
Contacting Allergan for partnering
Allergan can be contacting in relation to partnering through a number of channels.
Here is a list of the most common channels:
Partnering events: face to face contact is generally considered the most effective form of contact. Partnering events not only allow face to face contact but also contact with multiple companies for the price of one flight and hotel reservation. This benefit makes partnering events the most cost effective method of making personal introductions as a start point for partnering discussions.
See Current Partnering’s event calendar for details of forthcoming events.
Direct contact: there are several sources of direct contact with Allergan’s business development team
- Phone: Picking up the phone and speaking with an individual is the best form of non-face to face contact as it allows your name and voice to be remembered and associated with an opportunity.
- Email: Sending an email is another good way of making contact. Ideally, research the individual responsible for the therapy/technology area being targeted and get in touch. Email contact to a named individual view the list of contacts at Allergan’s website for details.
- LinkedIn: Business to business contact is increasingly taking place via LinkedIn, the global online networking channel. Many of Allergan’s business development executives have LinkedIn profiles and can be found by viewing the company’s profile. Visit Allergan’s LinkedIn page here.
Opportunity submission form: the least favourable channel but worth using if you do not have access to the other channels mentioned above. Allergan does not provide an online opportunity submission form.
Available reports from Current Partnering
Report: Partnering Agreements with Allergan 2005-2013
Available resources for deal coverage for Allergan
Read: more on Allergan company profile, recent partnering, M&A and financing news and articles
Report: Practical Guide to Finding Partners
View: Current Partnering’s Partnering Scorecard – view top life science partnering deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s M&A Scorecard – view top life science M&A deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s Deal Metrics – the latest deal trend infographics for life science deal making
View: Current Partnering’s Big Pharma Deal Making Scorecard – latest trends in big pharma deal making activity
View: Top 50 pharma – overview of top 50 pharmaceutical companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk
View: Top 50 biotech – overview of top 50 biotechnology companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk