Otsuka is a top pharma company active in partnering, licensing and M&A in pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals.
“When a method was developed for modifying the structure of compounds, and thereby developing pharmaceutical products, using a computer, I thought about closing down the company completely. If a computer can do the work without human contribution, then it seemed likely that small companies unable to purchase supercomputers would be put out of business. But the nature of research belongs to people.
The large multinational corporations that are capable of buying supercomputers are struggling to develop new drugs; they are actually buying compounds and developed products from smaller venture companies. Someone told me that ‘Otsuka Pharmaceutical is a large venture company.’
People make the company run; people do the thinking. Otherwise, we’d be in trouble.”
Interview with Akihiko Otsuka, Chairman of Otsuka Holdings
Otsuka researchers possess the burning passion that is important to persevere an idea. And they do so with an equally important clarity of purpose: to discover and develop innovative drugs that contribute to patients’ health. Otsuka’s researchers work collaboratively in open-floor spaces to reinforce progress on good ideas, but the seeds of those ideas are often an individual researcher’s way of thinking about a medical challenge.
New compounds discovered at research institutes in Tokushima, Japan are advanced to our clinical development institutes centered in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
In addition, Otsuka selectively partner in companies to accelerate world-class R&D.
Summary of Otsuka partnering interests
Otsuka splits its interests into distinct areas.
These can be summarized as follows:
- Pharmaceuticals – Oncology, tuberculosis, central nervous system, ophthalmology, gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, diagnostics
- Nutraceuticals – ‘soylution‘ (soy products), rehydration, ‘cosmedics’, nutrition
For the latest detail on Otsuka’s partnering interests, visit the partnering section of Otsuka website > go to Innovation and Science for details.
Otsuka are routinely present at a large number of partnering events throughout the year.
Partnering events are a great place to meet lots of potential partners face to face in a small amount of time.
Events with Otsuka presence include but are not limited to:
- BIO International Convention and Business Forum
- BioPartnering Future Europe / BioPartnering North America
- BioEurope / BioEurope Spring
For a full list of forthcoming partnering events where you could meet with Otsuka in person visit Current Partnering’s Event calendar.
In addition, you can find a full list of events where Otsuka will be present for partnering discussions, visit the partnering section of Otsuka website > go to Innovation and Science for details.
Contacting Otsuka for partnering
Otsuka can be contacting in relation to partnering through a number of channels.
Here is a list of the most common channels:
Partnering events: face to face contact is generally considered the most effective form of contact. Partnering events not only allow face to face contact but also contact with multiple companies for the price of one flight and hotel reservation. This benefit makes partnering events the most cost effective method of making personal introductions as a start point for partnering discussions.
Direct contact: there are several sources of direct contact with the Otsuka business development team
- Phone: Picking up the phone and speaking with an individual is the best form of non-face to face contact as it allows your name and voice to be remembered and associated with an opportunity.
- Email: Sending an email is another good way of making contact. Ideally, research the individual responsible for the therapy/technology area being targeted and get in touch. Otsuka do not publish a list of contacts on their website, so unless you cannot find a direct contact elsewhere use the contact form here.
- LinkedIn: Business to business contact is increasingly taking place via LinkedIn, the global online networking channel. Many of Otsuka business development executives have LinkedIn profiles and can be found by viewing the company’s profile. Visit Otsuka LinkedIn page here
Opportunity submission form: the least favourable channel but worth using if you do not have access to the other channels mentioned above. Otsuka provides an online opportunity submission form which can be found by partnering section of Otsuka website > go to About Otsuka for details.
Available reports from Current Partnering
Report: Partnering Agreements with Otsuka 2005-2013
Available resources for deal coverage for Otsuka
Read: more on Otsuka company profile, recent partnering, M&A and financing news and articles
Report: Practical Guide to Finding Partners
View: Current Partnering’s Partnering Scorecard – view top life science partnering deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s M&A Scorecard – view top life science M&A deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s Deal Metrics – the latest deal trend infographics for life science deal making
View: Current Partnering’s Big Pharma Deal Making Scorecard – latest trends in big pharma deal making activity
View: Top 50 pharma – overview of top 50 pharmaceutical companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk
View: Top 50 biotech – overview of top 50 biotechnology companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk