Takeda Pharmaceuticals is a top pharma company active in partnering, licensing and M&A in the pharmaceutical sector.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals has an active licensing partnering group that recognizes the significant role played by 3rd party collaborations. Almost one third of our revenues come from partnerships and strategic acquisitions, and that will grow to over 50 percent by 2015.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals has significant experience in developing mutually beneficial discovery, development and commercial relationships. Their dedicated alliance management function fosters strong relationships throughout the product life cycle, from early development to late stage. The company states that its teams apply Takeda's core values of perseverance, honesty and fairness to every collaboration.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals has always valued innovation. The company have a history of acquiring companies with strong scientific platforms and expertise – Syrxx (now Takeda California), Paradigm Pharmaceuticals (now Takeda Cambridge and Takeda Singapore) and Millennium Pharmaceuticals (now Millennium: The Takeda Oncology Company).
Like many companies, Takdea seeks to be ‘partner of choice’ in its target therapy and technology areas.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals summarizes its opportunity evaluation process as follows:
Source: www.takeda.com, 2013
Summary of Takeda’s partnering interests
Takeda Pharmaceuticals splits its partnering interests into distinct areas.
These can be summarized as follows:
- Commercial licensing - Takeda is seeking pre-registration, registration and in-market late stage opportunities aligned with specific geographic and/or therapeutic areas of focus. While we are focused on opportunities in our core therapeutic areas, our decisions are guided by our in-depth market knowledge, whether that market is a specific country, region or even the globe. Our goal is to identify opportunities that allow us to leverage our global infrastructure to bring products to market that address unmet patient needs. We are interested in opportunities for both ethical and over-the-counter medications. In the United States, our interest is in ethical compounds only.
- R&D partnering - We are seeking multiple and diverse external opportunities including:
- Development collaborations for clinical and preclinical products in core therapeutic areas
- Research alliances involving core therapeutic areas and/or novel technologies
- Pharmaceutical science alliances
Therapeutic focus areas include:
- Cardiovascular – acute heart failure, atrial fibrillation, peripheral arterial disease, pulmonary artierla hypertension
- Metabolic – diabetes, obseity
- Immunology – rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, scleroderma, gout, multiple sclerosis, ankylosing spondylitis
- Respiratory – COPD, asthma
- Central nervous system – chronic pain, neuropathy, Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, ALS, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, autism,
- Gastrointestinal – IBD, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, IBS, fibrosis, cirrhosis, encephalopathy
- Genitourinary – electrolyte management, chronic kidney disease, diabetic nephropathy, acute kidney disease, incontinence, overactive bladder, nocturia
- Oncology – protein homeostasis, targeted therapeutics
- New frontier science - established to support scientists who are conceiving ground-breaking life science technologies and nurture translation of their ideas from concept to reality. Our goal is to work closely with innovators and provide guidance, resources and financing to advance their vision from conception through key proof of concept experiments. We will act as the point of entry for innovation into Takeda by brokering connections between NFS-supported groups and researchers, investors and development partners within Takeda. We are focused on academic medical centers, research institutions, incubators and nascent companies around the world. In addition to Takeda’s traditional business focus of novel pharmaceutical agents, we are interested in adjacent technologies such as diagnostics, devices or business practices that would influence pharmaceutical development, as well as patients and their use of pharmaceutical products. We will consider any disease that can be treated with prescription pharmaceuticals to realize true and substantial clinical benefit.
- Takeda Ventures - mission is to support the development of external therapeutic innovation that is strategically aligned with Takeda’s R&D imperatives and that offers the potential to realize new, advanced healthcare options for patients worldwide. We do this by investing in pharmaceutical technology and product concepts and by fostering highly effective management teams that can turn ideas into reality.
For the latest detail on Takeda’s partnering interests, visit the partnering section of Takeda’s website > go to Partnerships for details.
Takeda are routinely present at a large number of partnering events throughout the year.
Partnering events are a great place to meet lots of potential partners face to face in a small amount of time.
Events with Takeda presence include but are not limited to:
- BIO International Convention and Business Forum
- BioPartnering Future Europe / BioPartnering North America
- BioEurope / BioEurope Spring
For a full list of forthcoming partnering events where you could meet with Takeda in person visit Current Partnering’s Event calendar.
Contacting Takeda for partnering
Takeda can be contacting in relation to partnering through a number of channels.
Here is a list of the most common channels:
Partnering events: face to face contact is generally considered the most effective form of contact. Partnering events not only allow face to face contact but also contact with multiple companies for the price of one flight and hotel reservation. This benefit makes partnering events the most cost effective method of making personal introductions as a start point for partnering discussions.
Direct contact: there are several sources of direct contact with Takeda’s business development team
- Phone: Picking up the phone and speaking with an individual is the best form of non-face to face contact as it allows your name and voice to be remembered and associated with an opportunity.
- Email: Sending an email is another good way of making contact. Ideally, research the individual responsible for the therapy/technology area being targeted and get in touch. Takeda publish a list of contacts on their website. Visit Takeda’s website > go to Partnerships > Contacts for further details.
- LinkedIn: Business to business contact is increasingly taking place via LinkedIn, the global online networking channel. Many of Takeda’s business development executives have LinkedIn profiles and can be found by viewing the company’s profile. Visit Takeda’s LinkedIn page here
Opportunity submission form: the least favourable channel but worth using if you do not have access to the other channels mentioned above. Takeda does not provide an online opportunity submission form.
Available reports from Current Partnering
Report: Partnering Deals and Alliances with Takeda
Available resources for deal coverage for Takeda
Read: more on Takeda company profile, recent partnering, M&A and financing news and articles
Report: Practical Guide to Finding Partners
View: Current Partnering’s Partnering Scorecard – view top life science partnering deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s M&A Scorecard – view top life science M&A deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s Deal Metrics – the latest deal trend infographics for life science deal making
View: Current Partnering’s Big Pharma Deal Making Scorecard – latest trends in big pharma deal making activity
View: Top 50 pharma – overview of top 50 pharmaceutical companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk
View: Top 50 biotech – overview of top 50 biotechnology companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk