This month we are providing you with an overview of deal analysis in the life sciences, covering partnering and M&A in February 2013.
Deal of the month
Merck &Co. in settlement agreement for Vytorin with Schering-Plough
February 14, 2013- Merck & Co., Schering-Plough
Merck has reached an agreement in principle with plaintiffs to resolve two federal securities class-action lawsuits agreeing to pay $688 milion.. more
Latest breaking news...
Mylan to acquire Agila Specialities for $1.85 billion
February 27, 2013 - Mylan, Agila Specialities
The acquisition of Agila will create a global injectables leader, significantly expanding and strengthening Mylan's global injectables platform and providing Mylan entry into new high-growth geographic markets.. more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit: http://www.currentagreements.com
Month In Review
Welcome to the March 2013 edition of Current Agreements Deals Update.
This month we are providing you with an overview of deal making activity in the life sciences, covering partnering, M&A and financings in February 2013.
Partnering activity continue at a very rapid pace as we enter the month of March.A total of 187 partnering deals were announced during the month of February, with the top deal by value being the settlement agreement for Vytorin Enhance study lawsuit between Merck and Schering-Plough. The deal had a headline value of USD 688 million. Further details can be viewed here
On the M&A front 23 deals were announced which is lesser when compared to 46 deals last month, with the leading deal being the acquisition of AssuraMed by Cardical Health, in a deal valued at USD 2.07 billion. Full details here.
On the financings front we recorded 64 financing announcements, with the leading deal by value being the USD 500 million private placement by Orbimed Advisors. Full details here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering has just published several new reports
- Bioinformatics Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Orphan Drugs Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Partnering Deals and Alliances with Big Pharma
As well as a comprehensive series of reports covering all the main therapy, technology, deal and expert type areas. View our full list of reports here at our report store.
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We also welcome contact from any company that has a deal not already announced by press release, allowing us to add non-publicized deals to the database.
Month In Review
The following figure shows partnering deals during February 2013 by industry sector.
The following figure shows deals during February 2013 by stage of development.
The following figure shows deals during February 2013 by therapy area.
The following figure shows deals during February 2013 by deal type.
To view partnering activity trends for 2012 to date visit our Scorecards.
The top ten
The following are the top 10 partnering deals and alliances by value, as announced in February 2013.
1. Settlement agreement for Vytorin Enhance study lawsuit - Merck & Co, Schering-Plough - $688m
2. Development and marketing agreement for Octreolin - Chiasma, Genentech, Roche- $595m
3. Collaboration agreement for OTC medicines - Bristol-Myers Squibb, Reckitt Benckiser -$482m
4. Collaborative R&D agreement for novel drugs - AstraZeneca, Bayer, European Union, Janssen Biotech, Lundbeck, Merck KGaA, Sanofi, UCB -$265m
5. Development agreement for RSLV-132 to treat lupus - Resolve Therapeutics, Takeda Pharmaceutical- $255m
6. Development, licensing and marketing agreement for Tcelna (imilecleucel-T) - Merck Serono, Opexa Therapeutics - $225m
7. Development and marketing agreement for ALN-PCS RNAi therapeutic program - Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Medicines Company - $205m
8. Research and licensing agreement for oral treatment for inflammatory skin diseases- 4SC, LEO Pharma- $125.65m
9. Collaboration agreement for drug discovery - Genentech, RQx Pharmaceuticals -$111m
10. Marketing agreement for CIRCUMserum - Centric Research Institute, Innovus Pharmaceuticals-$75m
Full details of each deal available at Current Agreements* *Subscription required
February saw 30 partnering deals announced where bigpharma were at least one of the parties to the deal.
Merck & Co. were particularly active, leading partnering activity in February:
Merck & Co.
- Settlement agreement for lawsuit related to Vioxx
- Development and marketing agreement for biosimilars - Samsung Bioepis
- Contract service agreement for research advancements - Odyssey Thera
- Settlement agreement for Vytorin Enhance study lawsuit - Schering-Plough
- Collaboration agreement for low-cost HPV vaccine - Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, GAVI Alliance, GlaxoSmithKline, World Bank, World Health Organization
Further details of each deal are available at Current Agreements.
Purchase a subscription from $2,995 for a year's access to over 25,000 deals announced since 2000.
Current Partnering Yearbooks by industry sector, therapy area, stage of development and technology type. click to read more or purchase.