Abbott Laboratories is a top pharma company active in pharma partnering, licensing and M&A in pharmaceuticals, diagnostics, devices and nutrition.
Abbott Laboratories has a Licensing Venture Investment and Acquisitions group which is charged with analysing and managing all incoming opportunities. It is into this group that your opportunity will be submitted and processed to ensure the best opportunities are selected for further evaluation.
Like many companies, Abbott seeks to be ‘partner of choice’ in its target therapy and technology areas in its pharma partnering efforts.
Abbott summarizes its opportunity evaluation process as follows:
Source: www.abbott.com, 2013
Summary of Abbott’s partnering interests
Abbott splits its pharma partnering interests into three distinct areas: medical products, nutritional products and established pharmaceuticals.
These can be summarized as follows:
Medical products – Abbott’s research focuses on key emerging technologies in the field of vascular devices and diagnostics.
Key areas of interest for partnering include:
- Vascular devices – coronary, endovascular, vessel closure
- Vision – corneal products, refractive products, cataract products
- Diagnostics – molecular diagnostics, glucose monitoring, diabetes management
Nutritional products – Abbott’s nutritional business is a global market leader in pediatric and adult nutritionals.
Key areas of interest for partnering include:
- Pediatric nutrition – infant formulas, follow-on/growing up formulas, toddler/infant food, pre-natal supplementation
- Medical nutrition – enteral feeding, medical foods, speciality products, disease-specific products
- Healthy living – balanced nutrition, diabetes management, nutritious snacks, sports nutrition, weight management
Established pharmaceuticals – Abbott’s focus is on branded generics and mature/established products.
For the latest detail on Abbott’s partnering interests, visit the partnering section of Abbott’s website > go to Partnerships for details.
Abbott Laboratories are routinely present at a large number of partnering events throughout the year.
Pharma partnering events are a great place to meet lots of potential partners face to face in a small amount of time.
Events with Abbott presence include but are not limited to:
- BIO International Convention and Business Forum
- BioPartnering Future Europe / BioPartnering North America
- BioEurope / BioEurope Spring
For a full list of forthcoming partnering events where you could meet with xxx in person visit Current Partnering’s Event calendar.
Contacting Abbott Laboratories for partnering
Abbott Laboratories can be contacting in relation to partnering through a number of channels.
Here is a list of the most common channels:
Partnering events: face to face contact is generally considered the most effective form of contact. Pharma partnering events not only allow face to face contact but also contact with multiple companies for the price of one flight and hotel reservation. This benefit makes partnering events the most cost effective method of making personal introductions as a start point for partnering discussions.
Direct contact: there are several sources of direct contact with Abbott’s business development team
- Phone: Picking up the phone and speaking with an individual is the best form of non-face to face contact as it allows your name and voice to be remembered and associated with an opportunity.
- Email: Sending an email is another good way of making contact. Ideally, research the individual responsible for the therapy/technology area being targeted and get in touch. Email contact to a named individual view the list of contacts at Abbott’s website > go to Partnerships for details.
- LinkedIn: Business to business contact is increasingly taking place via LinkedIn, the global online networking channel. Many of Abbott’s business development executives have LinkedIn profiles and can be found by viewing the company’s profile. Visit Abbott’s LinkedIn page here.
- Opportunity submission form: the least favourable channel but worth using if you do not have access to the other channels mentioned above. Abbott provides an online opportunity submission form which can be found by visiting Abbott’s website > go to Partnerships for details.
Available reports from Current Partnering
Report: Partnering Deals and Alliances with Abbott Laboratories
Available resources for deal coverage for Abbott
Read: more on Abbott company profile, recent partnering, M&A and financing news and articles
Report: Practical Guide to Finding Partners
View: Current Partnering’s Partnering Scorecard – view top life science partnering deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s M&A Scorecard – view top life science M&A deals by value
View: Current Partnering’s Deal Metrics – the latest deal trend infographics for life science deal making
View: Current Partnering’s Big Pharma Deal Making Scorecard – latest trends in big pharma deal making activity
View: Top 50 pharma – overview of top 50 pharmaceutical companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk
View: Top 50 biotech – overview of top 50 biotechnology companies by revenue – partnering activity, deal news, partnering dealtalk