This month we are providing you with an overview of deal analysis in the life sciences, covering partnering and M&A in January 2013.
Deal of the month
January 1, 2013- Innovata HK, Tianjin KingYork, Tianjin Kinnovata
Tianjin KingYork Group Co. and Innovata HK Limited have gotten together to form a JV, which will be located in Tianjin Economic-Technological Development Area. more
Latest breaking news...
January 31, 2013 - AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb
AstraZeneca and Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. BMY -1.06% have deepened their diabetes-drug partnership by merging their diabetes marketing teams and moving them to a new U.S. headquarters separate from either company. more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit: http://www.currentagreements.com
Month In Review
Welcome to the February 2013 edition of Current Agreements Deals Update.
As we moved towards 2013 partnering activity continued at a good pace.A total of 230 partnering deals were announced during the month, with the top deal by value being the joint venture agreement for Tianjin Kinnovata Pharmaceutical. The deal had a headline value of USD 199.6 million. Further details can be viewed here.
On the M&A front 46 deals were announced, with the leading deal being the acquisition of MAP Pharmaceuticals by Allergan, in a deal valued at USD 958 million. Full details here.
On the financings front we recorded 103 financing announcements, with the leading deal by value being the USD12.5 billion IPO offering by Pfizer's Zoetis. Full details here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering has just published several new reports
- Manufacturing and Supply Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Vaccine Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Co-promotion and Co-marketing Partnering Terms and Agreements
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We also welcome contact from any company that has a deal not already announced by press release, allowing us to add non-publicized deals to the database.
Month In Review
The following figure shows partnering deals during January 2013 by industry sector.
The following figure shows deals during January 2013 by stage of development.
The following figure shows deals during January 2013 by therapy area.
The following figure shows deals during January 2013 by deal type.
To view partnering activity trends for 2012 to date visit our Scorecards.
The top ten
The following are the top 10 partnering deals and alliances by value, as announced in January 2013.
1. Joint venture agreement for Tianjin Kinnovata Pharmaceutical - Innovata HK, Tianjin KingYork, Tianjin Kinnovata - $199.6m
2. Licensing agreement for developing compounds for an undisclosed target - Afraxis, Genentech- $187.5m
3. Asset purchase agreement for OBI-1 -Baxter Healthcare, Inspiration Biopharmaceuticals, Ipsen -$185m
4. Development and marketing agreement for nanomedicines to treat solid tumors - Amgen, BIND Biosciences -$180.5m
5. Development agreement for ThermoDox - Celsion, Zhejiang Hisun Pharmaceutical- $145m
6.Manufacturing agreement for cancer treatment equipment - TechPrecision - $115m
7.Asset purchase agreement for rare diseases product portfolio - Lundbeck, Recordati - $100m
8. Asset purchase agreement for Lifecodes business unit- Hologic, Immucor- $95m
9. Licensing agreement for spinal muscular atrophy program including RG3039- Pfizer, Repligen -$70m
10. Development agreement for AMP-110 therapy -Amplimmune, Daiichi Sankyo-$50m
Full details of each deal available at Current Agreements* *Subscription required
January saw 40 partnering deals announced where bigpharma were at least one of the parties to the deal.
AstraZeneca were particularly active, leading partnering activity in January:
- Joint venture agreement for diabetes - Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Research agreement for OX-CLI program - Orexo
- Collaboration agreement for drug discovery for unmet need human diseases - Lead Discovery Center
- Development agreement for controlled release technology - Ceram Research
- Collaborative R&D agreement for brain disorder treatments - Vanderbilt University
- Collaboration agreement for iPSC derived human cell based drug discovery - Cellular Dynamics International
Further details of each deal are available at Current Agreements.
Purchase a subscription from $2,995 for a year's access to over 25,000 deals announced since 2000.
Current Partnering Yearbooks by industry sector, therapy area, stage of development and technology type. click to read more or purchase.