This month we are providing you with an overview of deal analysis in the life sciences, covering partnering and M&A in September 2012.
Deal of the month
September 20, 2012 – Servier, MacroGenics
MacroGenics, Inc., a privately held biotechnology company that develops next generation antibody therapeutics, and Servier, France’s largest privately-held pharmaceutical company, announced today that they have entered into an option agreement for the development and commercialization of Dual-Affinity Re-Targeting (DART) products directed at three undisclosed tumor targets.more
Latest breaking news…
October 1, 2012 – Janssen Biotech, Astellas
Janssen Biotech, Inc. (“Janssen”) announced today that it has entered into a license agreement with Astellas Pharma Inc. (“Astellas”) for the worldwide development and commercialization, except in Japan, of ASP015K, an oral, small molecule Janus Kinase (JAK) inhibitor. more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit: http://www.currentagreements.com
Month In Review
Welcome to the October 2012 edition of Current Agreements Deal Analysis Update.
This month we are providing you with an overview of deal making activity in the life sciences, covering partnering, M&A and financings in September 2012.
Partnering activity continued at a good pace, with several high headline value deals announced during the month despite it being a vacation period for many. A total of 269 partnering deals were announced during the month, with the top deal by value being the Option, development and marketing agreement for Dual-Affinity Re-Targeting (DART) products between Servier and MacroGenics. The deal had a headline value of USD1.1 billion.Further details can be viewed here
NEW…On the financings front we recorded 88 financing announcements, with the leading deal by value being the $1.75 billion private placement by Valeant Pharmaceuticals. See details here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering has just published several new reports:
- Vaccine Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Royalty Financing Partnering Terms & Agreements
- Co-promotion and Co-marketing Partnering Terms and Agreements
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We also welcome contact from any company that has a deal not already announced by press release, allowing us to add non-publicized deals to the database.
Month In Review
The following figure shows deals during September 2012 by industry sector.
The following figure shows deals during September 2012 by stage of development.
The following figure shows deals during September 2012 by therapy area.
The following figure shows deals during September 2012 by deal type.
To view partnering activity trends for 2012 to date visit our Scorecards.
The top ten
The following are the top 10 partnering deals and alliances by value, as announced in September 2012.
1. Option, development and marketing agreement for Dual-Affinity Re-Targeting (DART) products – Servier, MacroGenica – $1100m
3. Licensing agreement for Sym004 -Merck KGaA, Symphogen $275m
4. Licensing and marketing agreement for rigosertib – Baxter, Onconova Therapeutics – $585m
5. Licensing and technology transfer agreement for Seglin technology- Bristil-Myers Squibb, Summit – $300.1m
6. Joint venture agreement for off-patent pharmaceutical products – Hisun-Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Pfizer, Zhejiang Hisun Pharmaceutical – $295m
7. Licensing agreement for stem cell technology – RNL Bio, RST Biomedikal Sanayi – $205m
8. Licensing and research agreement for Nanocyclix technology -Oncodesign, Sanofi- $167m
9. Licensing, development and marketing agreement for immunotherapies for cancer treatment -ImmuNext, Janssen Biotech- $150m
Full details of each deal available at Current Agreements* *Subscription required
Access trial to gain access to all the deals above. Request trial here
September saw 40 partnering deals announced where bigpharma were at least one of the parties to the deal. This is greater than the 40 deals recorded in the previous month.
AstraZeneca were particularly active, leading partnering activity in August:
- Zhejiang Hisun Pharmaceutical, Hisun-Pfizer Pharmaceuticals – Joint venture agreement for off-patent pharmaceutical products
- Open Monoclonal Technology – Licensing agreement for Omnirat antibody
- Mylan Laboratories – Settlement agreement for Detrol LA (tolterodine tartrate) extended-release capsules
- Mylan Laboratories – Collaboration agreement for therapeutic antibodies (lead compound VIS410)
- Visterra – Marketing agreement for Nexium
- Abbott Laboratories, AstraZeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly, Genentech, GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson, Sanofi, TranCelerate BioPharma – Joint venture agreement for drug development
- Mylan Specialty – Licensing and marketing agreement for Epipen injection
- SFJ Pharmaceuticals – Co-development agreement for dacomitinib (PF-00299804)
Further details of each deal are available at Current Agreements.
Purchase a subscription from $3,000 for a year’s access to over 25,000 deals announced since 2000.
Current Partnering Yearbooks by industry sector, therapy area, stage of development and technology type. click to read more or purchase.