This month we are providing you with an overview of deal analysis in the life sciences, covering partnering and M&A in June 2012.
Deal of the month
following the completion of Bristol-Myers Squibb’s acquisition of Amylin, the companies will enter into collaboration arrangements, based on the framework of the existing diabetes alliance, regarding the development and commercialization of Amylin’s portfolio of products more
Collaboration agreement for multiple drug resistant tuberculosis treatment
July 2, 2012 – AstraZeneca, Cellworks, Wellcome Trust
AstraZeneca and Cellworks announced a collaboration supported by the Wellcome Trust to speed the design of novel combination therapies for the treatment of drug-sensitive and resistant tuberculosis more
For more breaking deals as they are announced, visit: http://www.currentagreements.com
Month In Review
Welcome to the July 2012 edition of Current Agreements Deal Analysis Update.
This month we are providing you with an overview of deal making activity in the life sciences, covering partnering and M&A in June 2012.
Partnering activity continued at a good pace, with several high headline value deals announced during the month. A total of 295 partnering deals were announced during the month, with the top deal by value being the diabetes pact between AstraZeneca and Bristol-Myers Squibb following BMS‘s acquisition of Amylin. The deal had a headline value of USD3.4 billion. Further details can be viewed here.
On the M&A front 43 were deals announced, with the leading deal being the acquisiiton of Amylin by Bristol-Myers Squibb, in a deal valued at USD5.3 billion. Full details here.
Our sister company, Current Partnering has just published several new reports:
- Vaccine Partnering Terms and Agreements
- Royalty Financing Partnering Terms & Agreements
- Co-promotion and Co-marketing Partnering Terms and Agreements
Our Current Partnering website showcases the leading partnering, M&A and financing deals by value.
We welcome your comments and feedback on this newsletter. We also welcome contact from any company that has a deal not already announced by press release, allowing us to add non-publicized deals to the database.
Month In Review
The following figure shows deals during June 2012 by industry sector.
The following figure shows deals during June 2012 by stage of development.
The following figure shows deals during June 2012 by therapy area.
The following figure shows deals during June 2012 by deal type.
To view partnering activity trends for 2012 to date visit our Scorecards.
The top ten
The following are the top 10 partnering deals and alliances by value, as announced in June 2012.
1. Contract service agreement for IT solutions – ICF International, NIH – $20 billion
2. Asset purchase agreement for pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise – Wallgreens, Alliance Boots – $6.7 billion
3. Collaborative R&D and marketing agreement for diabetes product portfolio – AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb – $3.4 billion
5. Collaboration and licensing agreement for anti-Tau antibodies for Alzheimer’s disease – Genentech, AC immune – $418 million
6. Asset purchase and licensing agreement for Toctino - Stiefel, Basilea – $305 million
7. Collaboration agreement for biologic drug conjugates – Merck & Co, Ambrx – $303 million
8. Collaborative R&D and licensing agreement for small molecule polymerase inhibitors – Roche, Savira – $302 million
10. Collaboration agreement to reduce maternal mortality rates – Merck & Co, US Government, Norway Government, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists – $200 million
Full details of each deal available at Current Agreements* *Subscription required
Request a complementary trial to gain access to all the deals above. Request trial here
May saw 56 partnering deals announced where bigpharma were at least one of the parties to the deal. This is up from the 33 deals recorded in the previous month.
GlaxoSmithKline and Merck were particularly active, leading partnering activity in June:
- Eisai, Epilepsy Scotland – Collaboration agreement for improved epilepsy care
- Liquidia Technologies – Collaboration agreement for vaccine and inhaled product candidates using PRINT (Particle Replication In Non-Wetting Templates) technology
- Kalon Biotherapeutics, Texas A&M University - Development and manufacturing agreement for medical countermeasures
- Kinemed – Collaboration agreement for biomarker discovery
- Gensight – Supply agreement for project portfolio management solution
- Abbott, AstraZeneca, BMS, Eli Lilly, Janssen, NCATS, Pfizer, Sanofi – Collaborative R&D agreement for therapeutic discovery initiative
- Cogstate – Licensing agreement for congnition measurement tests
- Ambrx – Collaboration agreement for biologic drug conjugates
- Geisinger Health System – Collaboration agreement for improved patient adherence, engagement and care delivery
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Government of Norway, US Government – Collaboration agreement to reduce maternal mortality rates
- Chongqing Zhifei Biological Products – Marketing agreement for RotaTeq vaccine
- Tesaro – Licensing agreement for Niraparib for breast and ovarian cancer
Further details of each deal are available at Current Agreements.
Deal Update Articles
Recent deals and alliances in life sciences – here’s our take:
In an novel partnership, Bristol-Myers Squibb has snapped up Amylin for $5.3 billion whilst simultaneously collaborating with AstraZeneca to off-load Amylin’s diabetes portfolio for $3.4 billion
Upsher-Smith are the latest company to seek to bolster lagging pipelines by acquiring another company, in this case Proximagen
Purchase a subscription from $3,000 for a year’s access to over 25,000 deals announced since 2000.
Current Partnering Yearbooks by industry sector, therapy area, stage of development and technology type. click to read more or purchase.